Core dump compiling Emacs 24 on Lubuntu 18.04

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Core dump compiling Emacs 24 on Lubuntu 18.04
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 01:00:03 +1200

I'm unsuccessfully trying to compile Emacs 24.4 and 24.5 on Lubuntu
18.04 GNU/Linux (for elisp backwards-compatibility testing purposes).

$ gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 7.4.0-1ubuntu1~18.04.1) 7.4.0

I'm using: ./configure --without-all --without-x

Which gives me:

  Where should the build process find the source code?    .
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g3 -O2
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    none
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           no
  Does Emacs use a png library?                           no
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                no
  Does Emacs use imagemagick?                             no
  Does Emacs support sound?                               no
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 no
  Does Emacs use GSettings?                               no
  Does Emacs use a file notification library?             no
  Does Emacs use access control lists?                    no
  Does Emacs use -lselinux?                               no
  Does Emacs use -lgnutls?                                no
  Does Emacs use -lxml2?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              no
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   no
  Does Emacs directly use zlib?                           no
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     no

Compilation ends with:

/bin/bash: line 7: 26704 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./temacs
--batch --load loadup bootstrap

gdb says:

0x00005555556c1925 in calloc (nmemb=<error reading variable: DWARF-2
expression error: Loop detected (257).>, size=size@entry=1) at
gmalloc.c:1529
1529      result = malloc (bytes);

Further output is attached.

Can anyone suggest a solution for compiling successfully on this
system?

I have a workaround (my CentOS VM compiles Emacs 24 fine), but it
would be more convenient if I could compile these versions locally.

thanks,
-Phil