Re: Image transformations

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Image transformations
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 15:38:46 +0100

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019 at 09:53:53PM +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Third <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If you want to change to defaulting to ImageMagick where available I’m
> > sure we can.
>
> I've resorted to using a function like this in every package that
> inserts an image:
>
> (defun foo--image-type ()
>   (if (or (and (fboundp 'image-transforms-p)
>              (image-transforms-p))
>         (not (fboundp 'imagemagick-types)))
>       nil
>     'imagemagick))
>
> Which is pretty annoying.

Something like the attached might help.

Although if someone included ImageMagick to support some obscure image
type it might result in slower image loads than native scaling for png
and jpeg, and so on.

I don’t know if we care much about that. Personally I’ve not noticed
any great speed increase, but anecdotally I’ve heard that native
transforms are far faster.

If it does turn out to be an issue then it should be quite easy to
just use ImageMagick to load the image, then use native transforms
when available.

--
Alan Third