Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]

From: VanL
Subject: Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2020 21:48:45 +1100

>> > What exactly would it be good for users to know?
>> > When and how can we tell them?
>>
>> There is another, related problem (it was already posted to this group
>> but got no answers):
>>
>> M-x report-emacs-bug is not even always a good way to file Emacs bug
>> reports.  For example, the org developers wish that org related bug
>> reports appear in their own list - org-mode bugs reported to
>> gnu.emacs.bug get no attention for years.
>>
>> This works automatically when you use M-x org-submit-bug-report - but I
>> didn't find that command, even though I searched for it, because the
>> name doesn't fit the naming scheme report-.*-bug.  Other users will not
>> even know that some packages may have special commands for bug
>> reporting.
>>
>> And other Emacs packages use even different naming schemes:
>>
>> calc-report-bug
>> reftex-report-bug
>> eshell-report-bug
>> gnuplot-bug-report
>> c-submit-bug-report
>>
>> Though several modes are also using the naming similar to
>> org-submit-bug-report:
>>
>> c-submit-bug-report
>> diredp-send-bug-report
>> org-edna-submit-bug-report

Like how M-x icomplete-mode works, what if the Emacs user does the
following to find the right channel for reporting a bug to?

1. <S-return>
   Summons the neural inference engine's interactive prompt.
   Gotcha, org-mode uses <S-return> for something else.

2. type: bug
   All the possible channels are displayed for reporting a bug to.
   For example, like how M-x occur shows a listing to pick from.

HNY.

ps. I wasn't able to reply to EB's off-list email, the data session is
    rejected.  I don't know why.  Maybe operators are on holidays.

--
 əə0@ 7 6 4 5 bit byte word 6 5 0 2 memory map dma intelligence io 🐞
 一 二 三 言 語 𝔖 元 示 証 明 海 自 己 漢 本 人 Gnus/Emacs (berkeley-unix)