Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2020 10:00:27 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think the natural action would be to move the eln in the build
>> directory (as these are in fact compiled).  Unfortunately this would not
>> work with the elpa packages...
>
> Exactly, so it's not a good solution.
>
>> The other option would be to add a suffix to the the eln file but is
>> not nice at all.  Any idea?
>
> Actually, I think saving into a different directory is a better option.
> E.g. just replacing /foo/bar.eln with /foo/<arch-vers>/bar.eln.

Right, I think we need something like /foo/<arch-vers-hash>/bar.eln were
hash is computed using the list of Lisp primitives (that in the branch
we already accumulate into `comp-subr-list').  This depends on the
configure parameters and is effectively part of the ABI that Lisp
compiled code uses to plug into Emacs.

Actually hash could also take in account arch and vers but I think is
better to produce something as much human understandable as we can.

Also not sure how long is acceptable hash to be.

I'm thinking loud, hope it makes sense.

--
address@hidden