Re: Default emacs init file location confusion

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Default emacs init file location confusion
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 12:12:12 -0500

>> After installing Emacs, and starting it once to check that it
>> worked, I checked out my $HOME/.emacs.d directory from source
>> control and started Emacs. At this point, I noted that my init file
>> was not being loaded.
>
> If this means that ~/.emacs.d/ didn't exist when Emacs was first
> started, then I think it's OK for Emacs to default to ~/.config/emacs,
> because neither of the two possible candidates exist.
>
> So now I don't think I understand the confusion.

I guess he ran Emacs before checking out his .emacs.d, and Emacs created
.config/emacs. Then when he checked out his .emacs.d, it is not loaded. This
could confuse some people, for example, when someone installed emacs and ran it
once to make sure the install is successful. Adding a notice when creating
.config/emacs would be helpful.

Yuan