Lost or corrupted `undo-tree' history

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Lost or corrupted `undo-tree' history
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 23:45:35 +0100

I'm sure some of you have already seen the new update to the `undo-tree' package which is supposed to fix the dreaded issue with either loss or corruption of undo history. However, for those who don't know there is a great blog post with exhaustive analysis of the issue and how it must (allegedly) be resolved now with the new release [1].

A good read for anyone and especially experienced Emacs developers or power users who can suggest some improvements to the analysis and/or solution(s). One point from my side about the corruption solution (which seems to not be set in stone yet as a final remedy, but rather a test release that would only show after some time whether the issue is truly gone), I believe the garbage collector can be temporarily disabled by simply wrapping the body of `undo-list-transfer-to-tree' into the following `let' form:

(let ((gc-cons-threshold most-positive-fixnum))
  ...)

Thoughts?

[1] http://www.dr-qubit.org/Lost_undo-tree_history.html