Re: Default emacs init file location confusion

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Default emacs init file location confusion
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 17:46:34 -0800

On 1/10/20 8:57 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Iʼll see if I can test it soon, unless someone beats me to it.
Any news with this?  I'd like to have this in the repository ASAP, so
that the pretest (which is expected soonish) will have it.

Which version is "this"? It's kind of a long thread....

If the idea is to go back to defaulting to .emacs.d, that's a step in the wrong direction. Instead, I suggest that when Emacs starts up in a fresh home directory that lacks both .config/emacs and .emacs.d, Emacs creates .config/emacs and sets up a symlink .emacs.d -> .config/emacs. This would avoid the specific problem that Elias ran into, and is less likely to cause problems in environments where user configurations live in '.config'.

Partly I suggest this because it's what I've already been doing by hand: the symlink makes things more convenient for users who run a mixture of Emacs versions, as I do.