Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2020 14:10:03 +0000

Andrea Corallo <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> - making it work everywhere
>
> I can report that the branch bootstraps out of the box on arm64!
>
> I just have an assertion that triggers using some packages.  But I get
> the same on x86_64.
>
> Blindly commenting it out with the following works but I've to find some
> time to understand what's going on.  I'm not into cl-generic.el therfore
> suggestions are welcome :)

Okay after some investigation I fixed the issue that was causing the
assertion in cl-generics to fire-up.

I wasn't moving the relocated lisp objects used by functions into pure
space during bootstrap.  I pushed the fix and now should behave as the
standard implementation does.

Note this is an ABI change in the eln format so if you are testing the
branch and you have some eln compiled, for example in your elpa folder,
don't forget (as I did) to recompile.

Now I think it should be quite usable without any hacky trick.

Next I guess is to:

  - implement the folder thing to have different Emacs versions to
    coexists and use the same lisp file compiled.

  - look into speed 2 to understand how stable is the bootstrapped
    system and most likely do some bug fix.

For the rest I worked all the week on an arm64 Emacs to remember Friday
it was native compiled :)

I've a couple of interruptions that will slow me down for the next month
but I'll keep on progressing.

  Andrea

--
address@hidden