Re: html manual +css

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: html manual +css
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 11:20:08 +0000

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 5:02 PM Jean-Christophe Helary
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I have eventually resumed "work" on this and here is what I got:
>
> Original:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Visiting-Functions.html
>
> Sample:
> https://brandelune.github.io/code/Visiting-Functions.html
>
> The css I wrote:
> https://github.com/brandelune/brandelune.github.io/blob/gh-pages/code/emacs.css

This looks quite good.

> It is something I had done a while ago so I just spent a few hours today
> cleaning it up but I'm really not sure how I came up with the various values
> anymore :)
>
> Anyway, if it looks useful I'd like to think of ways to have it more widely
> used.
>
> Also, there are plenty of things that would be nice to have but in a way
> we're hitting the limits of the texinfo output (and my css skills too, of
> course).
>
> For ex:
>
> @deffn Command find-file filename &optional wildcards
>
> becomes

> &amp;optional wildcards</em></dt>
>
> it would be nice to have the arguments tagged individually and the &optional
> or &rest keywords tagged in a different way. Also to have the various
> templates identified for what they are.

Possibly: this should be possible if somebody would implement it in
texi2any. texinfo.tex already detects the &optional keyword and
outputs it in boldface.

> Also, examples should have similar tagging:
>
> @smallexample
> (switch-to-buffer (find-file-noselect filename nil nil wildcards))
> @end smallexample
>
> could be something like
>
> @smallexample
> (@commandname switch-to-buffer (@commandname find-file-noselect @arguments
> filename nil nil wildcards))
> @end smallexample
>
> so that we can have ways to target their contents with css.

The Guix developers managed to implement syntax highlighting by
post-processing the HTML.
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-texinfo/2019-11/msg00004.html)