Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 18:03:33 +0300

On 16.01.2020 13:22, martin rudalics wrote:
> The behavior seems to be the same (dragging, not resizing; including dragging by the borders).

Earlier your 'frame-geometry' reported that the child frame has no
borders.  So there should be no dragging by the borders, only resizing
via the internal borders.  Hence this behavior sounds strange.

My intuitive understanding is that the WM considers this frame fixed-size for some reason. And when mouse dragging of the top border is initiated, it is indeed resized by moving the top border.

And then some other piece of code somewhere sees that and thinks, hey, this window must be X height! And fixes the situation by resizing it back (but moving the bottom border). Which makes the frame move.