Parsing beyond sexps

From: Damien Cassou
Subject: Parsing beyond sexps
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 09:11:50 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to write a general-purpose linting engine for Emacs Lisp. It
currently uses a generator which repeatedly calls `(read buffer)` and
yields the result. It also uses a generator to iterate over the sexps of
a sexp, recursively. Here is the code:

https://gitlab.com/lintel/lintel/blob/2c98a02b17e34140f576e0bf2a9a7c47920dc1ce/lintel.el#L283

This is not enough though as I want comments and line/column positions
in the yielded values. Is there anything I could use from Emacs core
that would make my life easier?

I thought about using `parse-partial-sexp` and `syntax-ppss` but don't
know which iteration strategy to use to get information on the whole
buffer.  I could also use `forward-sexp` and check for the presence of a
comment at point each time this function returns.

Any piece of advice would be appreciated.

Please keep me in CC when answering.

Thank you.

--
Damien Cassou