Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 16:57:27 +0100

>  > Mostly I don't care because normal Emacs frames
>  > always flicker during resizing anyway.
>
> Even when resizing doesn't actually change the size?

You mean when making a frame invisible and then visible?  Here it's
always changing the frame size itself that causes flickers, mostly when
redisplaying the scroll bars and mode lines.

>>  > It doesn't flicker always, but like 3 out of 4 times is does. And running
resize-test in a loop always shows 1-2 flickers, at least.

>> So when you now resize a child frame by dragging its corners, it usually
>> flickers.
>
> I still can't resize it by dragging its corners. The "dragging" code doesn't
know to make the frame invisible/visible, and I don't know where to change that.

It would be no fun anyway.

> (defun resize-test (frame height)
>    (let ((x-wait-for-event-timeout 0.05))
>      (make-frame-invisible frame)
>      (set-frame-height frame height)
>      (make-frame-visible frame)))
>
> I tried different values: 0.05, 0.001, 0.2, 0.5. The upshot, in this round of
testing, is that it always flickers at least once. It might only flicker the
mode-line and the scrollbar. Or it might flicker to show the contents of the
underlying window. But that seems to happen regardless of the value above.

I see.

martin