Re: master@head: completing-read behavior change?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master@head: completing-read behavior change?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 00:56:50 +0300

Hi T.V.,

On 23.01.2020 0:42, T.V Raman wrote:
Could anyone tell me what changed in the behavior of completing-read
between
* (HEAD detached at 561ba2633e)
and HEAD on master branch?

I can't find the revision 561ba2633e, but it could be commit 3b0938c0420de2b845e7e8f8fbbb57ddc61718f2.

 From what I observe, something low-level appears to  have changed how
completing-read produces its final minibuffer prompt when ido is active.

The aforementioned commit changed the way Ido's suggestions are displayed: instead of being plainly 'insert'-ed, they are now an 'after-string' property on an overlay placed at the end of the prompt and input.

> From emacspeak, I used to be able to speak the ido choices
> intelligently, now I just get  the number of available choices spoken
> -- and the code on the emacspeak end hasn't changed.

Does emacspeak work okay with icomplete-mode? The above is how the latter has been displaying its suggestions for some time.

This change has been made for better compatibility with the new way messages are displayed while minibuffer is active (they are displayed using the same mechanism). So I think emacspeak should learn to understand this kind of rendering either way.

Sorry for the inconvenience, though.