Re: Question on fonts

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Question on fonts
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 20:14:25 +0200

> From: "T.V Raman" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 08:47:44 -0800
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
>
> More precisely, my question was in the context of helping users choose
> a font that is best suited to their needs --- the task is likely
> something that can be achieved by someone with  the
> interest/motivation creating an appropriate theme.

So you did mean a more general question.

In that case, I don't see how we could do a better job than we already
have in fontest.el.  The problem here is that (a) we cannot know which
fonts are installed on the end-user's machine, and (b) many fonts that
people so like to use and advertise aren't free, so we don't want to
promote them by including them in our fontest.  And on top of all
that, there's the personal preferences of each user, which IME are
quite different.