Re: Backslash-escaped brackets in string literals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Backslash-escaped brackets in string literals
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 15:33:12 +0200

> From: Mattias Engdegård <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 11:34:09 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> 25 jan. 2020 kl. 08.44 skrev Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
>
> > The problem manifests itself by having
> > no function name in the log entry produced by "C-x 4 a".
>
> Which is what I was unable to reproduce --- can you give an example? I'm in
> foreign territory here, but add-log-current-defun calls
> lisp-current-defun-name, which appears reasonably robust as long as
> syntax-ppss does its job.
>
> If it used to be a problem but no longer is, then I'm happy and grateful for
> the hard work!

I don't know what "used to be the problem" means in this case, so here
are the details of what happened to me last time I bumped into this:

  . visit minibuffer.el and go to set-minibuffer-message
  . remove the backslash that escapes the '(' in column zero in the
    doc string of that function (I added it when I had the problem)
  . C-x 4 a

In case it matters, I did that in Emacs 26.3.