Re: Fix for bug #39344 (Gnus selecting deleted buffer) incomplete.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Fix for bug #39344 (Gnus selecting deleted buffer) incomplete.
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 11:57:27 -0600

On 29 Jan 2020, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>On Jan 29 2020, Karl Fogel wrote:
>
>> After some debugging, I still don't know why the bug remains, though I've
>> learned a lot about Gnus buffer management, so that's nice.  My guess is
>> that this problem is related to earlier commit 5ee3c37634f, in which many
>> functions in Gnus were changed to use `gnus-get-buffer-create' and thus
>> now store the created buffer in in `gnus-buffers'.
>
>But it adds only new buffers to gnus-buffers, so that it cannot create
>duplicates.

Well, yes, that makes sense to me too but occasionally I get surprised by an
unexpected side effect in Emacs.

However, I think Sam's commit bb3b0990d really did fix bug#39344 after all.  I
did a *full* rebuild this time, i.e.,

  $ make distclean && ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make bootstrap

and now the bug is gone.  Previously I had just done a plain 'make', after 'git
pull' into a just-built tree had pulled down exactly that one change from Sam.
Probably the persistence of the buggy behavior was an artifact of the quick
build process.

Best regards,
-Karl