Re: Remove version numbers for some built-in packages?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Remove version numbers for some built-in packages?
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:41:38 -0500

> Some examples of the packages I'm talking about:
> - checkdoc
> - delim-col
> - edmacro
> - hippie-exp
> - woman
> - edt

Yes, these packages don't really have version numbers nowadays, it's
a remnant of the past.  We should definitely remove the `<foo>-version`
variables in those cases.  The "Version:" header can be marginally
useful in some cases (I've used those things a few times last year while
digging into our past), so it'd be good to keep it somewhere, tho
I agree that it doesn't need to appear in the list of packages with
their version numbers.

        Stefan