Re: Feedback on fido-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Feedback on fido-mode
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 16:50:20 +0200

On 09.03.2020 16:42, João Távora wrote:
Please be aware that fido-mode is really Icomplete-mode emulating _some_
of ido-mode's features. It's likely that the emulation will get better in the future or even surpass ido-mode in features. But in any case, it's _not_ an emulation
of Ivy-mode (if that's what you are after in some way).

I'm reasonably sure that more of these observations would apply to ido-mode as well. Adam, have you tried it? Maybe with ido-ubiquitous-mode (so it applies to all completing-read calls).

The difference vs. Ivy is about full flex (fuzzy) matching versus only allowing arbitrary text where the search string has spaces. That's why Ivy only matches the intended buffer for the input "init".

And fuzzy matching doesn't work as well when input strings are so long.

fido-mode could benefit from a possibility to choose a search style like Ivy's, but first, I think, we should unbind SPC from minibuffer-complete-word everywhere.