Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs's set-frame-size can not work well with gnome-shell?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 18:57:37 +0200

On 12.03.2020 10:23, martin rudalics wrote:
 >> The problem is that the gtk_container_set_resize_mode patch might break
 >> with the next update of mutter or GTK.
 >
> I wondered about that. But we'll probably release a new version of Emacs before then?

In either case it shouldn't bother us.  If it works, people may use it
and use the hiding approach if it doesn't.

With a custom var, you mean. OK.

 > It might also send a stronger message to GTK/Mutter developers, who
 > are not so fast to answer a bug report from a fellow GNU project.

We've fallen between two stools here: It's not precisely a mutter
problem - Lucid and Motif work there.  And it's not precisely a GTK3
problem because it works with all other window managers I know of.

IIUC though, the majority of the GTK developers work on GNOME and Mutter as well. If that's the case, asking for Mutter's developers' help makes sense anyway.

 >> It also freezes Emacs on
 >> desktops like kwin and xfwm and therefore must be made optional anyway.
 >
> That's unfortunate. If there was a way to detect Mutter programmatically, maybe we should use that. Even if just to set the default value of the new variable you've described below.

I've been trying to do that but it's unreliable (BTW mutter here
identifies itself as GNOME shell): We would have to test such an
automatism on all possible desktops people use.  So better leave that to
Emacs 28.

OK.

> I think 'resize-mode' should be the main mode of operation for it. But if 'hide' wouldn't complicate the code too much, I can't really argue against it.

So far we have no proof that 'resize-mode' works for a sufficient number
of people.  Or did you have any feedback?

I asked that question today. Got one +1 so far: https://github.com/tumashu/company-posframe/issues/2#issuecomment-598809266