Re: master d08c947: Make compilation-mode regexp matching case-sensitive

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: master d08c947: Make compilation-mode regexp matching case-sensitive (bug#40119)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 23:29:50 +0100

25 mars 2020 kl. 21.54 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

> The regular expressions are written either with or without case-folding
> in mind, so changing it globally is a recipe for problems.

Agreed, but I doubt that anyone will ever set the option. It was added just in
case someone has a tool emitting messages that happens to match one of the
built-in rules if case-folding is used, or if a user has added a sloppily
written regexp. In either case, adding a properly written regexp is of course
the recommended action.

> If we want to allow case-insensitive regexp matching, then we should
> extend the syntax of `compilation-error-regexp-alist` so that a given
> entry there can request it to be used with case-folding.

It would be more flexible, but I'd rather not add the complexity without
evidence of a need for it.

> PS: The same applies to the "zero/one-based column numbers" and
>    the "char-colums vs visual-columns vs byte-columns", admittedly.

Yes, those settings would make more sense if they were rule-specific. Still,
actual examples of tools needing them would be useful.