Re: Process to build standalone Emacs + deps in Windows

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Process to build standalone Emacs + deps in Windows
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 23:49:01 -0400

> +    excludes=['lib/*.a', # No files to link against
[...]
> This list would need to go near the front, so we have a clean
> configuration section. It also displays the key problem -- it's really
> long and non obvious so a maintenance burden

I had a clean and simple solution, but I wrote it in a small margin
and now I can't read it any more, sorry.

> +# The dependency extraction relies on an English version of pacman
> +# We need to configure the locale to match the expectations
> +if 'LANG' in os.environ:
> +    os_lang = os.environ['LANG']
> +    if (len(os_lang) > 2) and (os_lang[0:2] != 'en'):
> +        os.environ['LANG']='en_US'

I think the `C` locale is the obvious choice for these kinds of situations.

> Of course, we do not need the *.el files at all.

I really hope we keep them there.  Even if many users won't look at
them, the fact that they're so easy to get to is almost a defining
feature of Emacs.

        Stefan