Re: Bugfix for utf-8 XTerm/MinTTY and (set-input-meta-mode t)

From: Max Mikhanosha
Subject: Re: Bugfix for utf-8 XTerm/MinTTY and (set-input-meta-mode t)
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 17:45:22 +0000

On Tuesday, June 1st, 2021 at 1:29 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> And btw, why do you use MetaSendEscape:false with these emulators? It
> sounds like if you set MetaSendEscape:true, your problems will be
> solved, no? FWIW, this is how I use terminal emulators here, for many
> years, including with non-ASCII input (and of course Meta-characters),
> and I have yet to see a single problem.

Its because of vi. Not to start an argument, but evil package for emacs is best
of both worlds,
its vim with Elisp scripting, and my brain is already hardwired for vi keys for
decades).

When typing fast in vi mode, its really frustrating to be typing, then press
Esc o to
exit insert mode and start new line, only for it to be interpreted as M-o.  Its
even worse
when typing over a slow-laggy ssh connections.

Thus most vi-junkies have their terminals configured with metaSendEscape:false