Re: Any way of dumping strings?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Any way of dumping strings?
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 21:44:22 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 20:33:22 +0200
>
> > That's not what I had in mind.  You can set up breakpoint commands
> > that dump the contents of the vector being marked, then continue
> > without stopping.  Then say "set logging on", so that the output goes
> > to a file, and let Emacs run.  Once GC finishes, you will have a file
> > with all the vectors in it; then you can examine them at your leisure.
>
> That looks quite useful for this purpose, thanks.
>
> Now that I think of it, my impression on the past session was that
> performance degraded quite a bit, which could indicate that a very large
> number of objects was live (which implies that the leaked objects are
> relatively small, right?).

I don't know.  Maybe you have a significant number of medium-size
objects as well.  In any case, a large Lisp object in most cases also
means a lot of small ones -- these are the elements of that large
object: a list or a large vector or similar.  Only elements that are
atoms, like integers, don't add to GC's complexity, and such elements
are relatively rare in Emacs.