cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 20:16:53 -0700

As long as I can remember, cc-mode fontification has felt totally random, with actual faces depending on happenstance of previously-parsed types, luck of the draw in jit-lock chunking, and so on. Is there any *general* way that we can make fontification more robust and consistent?

For years and years now, I've been thinking we just need more deterministic parser-and-based mode support, and I still think that, but on a realistic level, that doesn't seem to be coming any time soon.

In the meantime, is there any general approach we might be able to use to get stuff like the attached to stop happening?