Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:03:03 -0700

On June 11, 2021 11:46:18 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>,  Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>,  Eli Zaretskii
<eliz@gnu.org>,  rudalics@gmx.at,  rms@gnu.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 16:52:37 -0400

Another problem with stock tree-sitter is that it makes Emacs less
self-hosting. Tree-sitter grammars are written in JavaScript.

Yes, there are some technical disadvantages to tree-sitter, indeed.
None of them make it unusable, but they do make it less convenient for
ELisp hackers and Emacs users.  So it's not a perfect solution, but
I don't think that should mean we don't want it in our toolbox.

I agree that these issues shouldn't prevent us from trying to use TS,
at least as an option.

Sure, but it'd be nice to package TS in such a way that it becomes more idiomatically lispy, at least if TS becomes the primary fontification engine for some modes. At the very least, it should be possible for users to apply ad hoc fontification on top of whatever TS supports. And how could something like TS work with, say, bison and flex files without fully general multi-mode support (which we also lack)?