Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 11:00:29 +0200

>> It should be documented in at least one manual.
>
> It could, but other customization options such as jit-lock-stealth-load and
> jit-lock-contextually, jut-lock-stealth-nice, jit-lock-stealth-time,
> and probably
> others aren't.  Not all defcustom's have manual entries (for the record, IMO
> this is a good idea: the manual should have a different reading cadence).

It's a bad state of affairs and nobody seems to care.  The "Multiline
Font Lock Constructs" section, for example, painstakingly explains how
to use `jit-lock-contextually' to handle multiline constructs but does
not bother whether that option has been ever described anywhere.

> But no problem if you want to make a patch that basically adds the contents
> of the docstring to display.texi.

You probably should not have followed the bad example of others.  But
I'll stop here telling you how a new option should be introduced.  Sorry
if I have bothered you, it was not my intention.

martin