Re: [feature/rcirc-update] Reconnects don't seem to work anymore

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [feature/rcirc-update] Reconnects don't seem to work anymore
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 21:49:30 +0000

Hi,

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm on fd96e3a0d9.  I've just pulled again and 8 new commits appeared,
> the oldest being from 5 days ago.  I'm pretty confident I've pulled at
> least every other day in order to see if there's something new.  Did you
> forget to push?

No, that was not the issue, I just wanted to make sure

> Anyway, I've updated to the current branch HEAD and restarted my
> rcirc-emacs.
>
>>> 06:58 -*.freenode.net- *** You are connected to chat.freenode.net using TLS
>>>                        (SSL) cipher 'TLSv1.3-TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384'
>>> 06:58 !!! "@msgid=446~1623712485~22272;inspircd.org/service;inspircd.org/bot
>>>           :NickServ!services@services.freenode.net NOTICE tsdh :Nick tsdh
>>>           isn't registered." (wrong-type-argument arrayp nil)
>>
>> From your other message, it seems like this is specificity related to
>> freenode, right?
>
> Yes, only freenode and only since today with no changes on rcirc in the
> meantime.  When I do
>
>     /msg nickserv help
>
> in the *chat.freenode.org* buffer, I get the response
>
>     20:42 *** 401 n No such nick
>
> and in the buffer N@chat.freenode.org there is
>
>     20:42 <tsdh> ickserv help

This was an issue caused by the new rcirc-define-command macro. The
intention was to improve defun-rcirc-command by adding integrated
argument parsing, and in this case, the regular expression was nor
correctly generated, as it did not require at least one whitespace
between arguments. I hope the last commits have fixes those issues, but
I might have to rethink some more fundamental things about how that
macro works.

> So now that user N has my nickserv password and I can't change it
> because freenode seems broken...
>
> I've asked on #help and the answers are:
>
>   1. I should use "/ns IDENTIFY password" instead of "/msg NickServ".
>   2. I should look into using SASL for identificiation.

Part of the IRCv3 improvements should also include this.

--
        Philip K.