Has enriched-mode become enriched?

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Has enriched-mode become enriched?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 09:19:18 +0100

Hello,

I noticed a couple of changes in enriched-mode exhibited by the latest
emacs, which are not present in emacs-27.2.

1. It used to be the case that I could set a local variable as

#+begin_src elisp
# Local Variables:
# mode: enriched-mode
# End:
#+end_src

Now the addition of mode after the hyphen gives a File local-variables
error: (void-function enriched-mode-mode). I now have to use

#+begin_src elisp
# Local Variables:
# mode: enriched
# End:
#+end_src

2. It seems I now have to set flyspell explicitly, as in

#+begin_src elisp
(add-hook 'enriched-mode-hook 'turn-on-flyspell)
#+end_src

It used to be the case that

#+begin_src elisp
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (flyspell-mode)))
#+end_src

was sufficient for enriched-mode too.

I am wondering if these changes are intended.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.