Re: Has enriched-mode become enriched?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Has enriched-mode become enriched?
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 09:05:03 -0400

> I noticed a couple of changes in enriched-mode exhibited by the latest
> emacs, which are not present in emacs-27.2.
>
> 1. It used to be the case that I could set a local variable as
>
> #+begin_src elisp
> # Local Variables:
> # mode: enriched-mode
> # End:
> #+end_src
>
> Now the addition of mode after the hyphen gives a File local-variables
> error: (void-function enriched-mode-mode).

I just tried it with Debian's 27.1 and it doesn't work either.
AFAIK it's always been the case that the `mode:` thingy needs to have
the major mode spelled without the `-mode` trailer (this is important
for security reasons, since it would otherwise make it possible to call
any function).

> I now have to use
>
> #+begin_src elisp
> # Local Variables:
> # mode: enriched
> # End:
> #+end_src

That's the normal form.  Not sure how/why the other one worked for you
in the past.

> It used to be the case that
>
> #+begin_src elisp
> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (flyspell-mode)))
> #+end_src

I think this will depend on the file name: enriched mode is a *minor*
mode, so whether it gets put in `text-mode` or some other mode will
depend on the file's name.

> I am wondering if these changes are intended.

I think you need to investigate on your side to make sure where those
changes come from because I don't think they come from Emacs-27 vs
Emacs-28 (or if they do, I don't think they come from changes in
`enriched-mode`).

        Stefan