Re: [elpa] externals/corfu a44c778 1/2: Yet another hack: posn-at-point

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [elpa] externals/corfu a44c778 1/2: Yet another hack: posn-at-point computation returns wrong y-coordinate on Emacs 28
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 10:07:02 -0400

>     Yet another hack: posn-at-point computation returns wrong y-coordinate on
> Emacs 28
[...]
> -         (pos (posn-x-y (posn-at-point pos))))
> +         ;;; XXX HACK y-coordinate position computation is wrong
> +         ;;; if there exists a flymake underline overlay at that point.
> +         ;;; Take the y coordinate from the current point.
> +         (x (car (posn-x-y (posn-at-point pos))))
> +         (y (cdr (posn-x-y (posn-at-point (point))))))

I would generally recommend against adding workarounds for bugs in
development versions of Emacs (at least not before reporting the
bug and also not before finding out that the bug won't be fixed
promptly).  Also I'd recommend making it clear in the code via
comments and/or via version tests that this is a workaround for
a specific bug in a specific version.

        Stefan

PS: This is a general recommendation.  I don't know if you've filed
a bug report for it yet.