Re: Add hints to documentation of car and cdr for (e)lisp newcomers - ta

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Add hints to documentation of car and cdr for (e)lisp newcomers - take 2
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 01:17:42 +0900

> On Jul 16, 2021, at 0:53, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
>> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>,  larsi@gnus.org,  asjo@koldfront.dk,
>>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 11:21:42 -0400
>>
>>> IMO, examples are for the manual, not for the doc strings.  If some
>>> parts of our manuals could benefit from more examples, patches for
>>> that would be welcome.
>>
>> I think displaying the examples we have in shortdoc.el in the
>> *Help* buffer would make a lot of sense.
>
> Trivial examples bloat the session memory without any significant
> effect on documentation quality.  People who must have examples should
> really read the manual, IMO.

For documentation "beginners", the helpful package and the inform package are
*extremely* useful. I just discovered shortdoc, which looks really good and
could definitely benefit from hypertext links to the function definitions (like
helpful/inform offer).

I'd love to know if there are other documentation helpers around.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
https://mac4translators.blogspot.com