Re: Context menus and mouse-3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 09:49:47 +0300

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  philipk@posteo.net,  rms@gnu.org,
>   spacibba@aol.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  arthur.miller@live.com,
>   dgutov@yandex.ru,  ghe@sdf.org,  drew.adams@oracle.com
> Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 01:23:09 +0300
>
> >> And some modes like org-mode, flyspell-mode, etc. already redefine
> >> down-mouse-3 to pop up context menus.
> >
> > But those modes define those context menus on special parts of
> > display, where pasting etc. makes less sense, no?
>
> When the buffer is not read-only, I see no reason to disallow
> pasting text because e.g. in flyspell-mode it makes sense
> to paste a correction to a misspelled word, etc.

IMO, when mouse-3 is clocked on a misspelled word, it makes much more
sense to assume the user wants to fix that word than that the user
wants to paste.

But here's an idea: how about merging the two menus into one in these
cases?  We could add a top-level menu with the two alternatives, each
one would then drop down one of the two possible menus.
Alternatively, just make a long menu by concatenating the contents of
the two original ones.

WDYT?