Re: Help building Pen.el (GPT for emacs)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help building Pen.el (GPT for emacs)
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 12:01:08 +0300

> From: Shane Mulligan <mullikine@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:36:15 +1200
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>, Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> I think the end-goal should be to have a close collaboration with EleutherAI,
> who already have an
> open-source alternative to the Copilot model. It's called GPT-j.
> ελευθερία is a greek word that means Freedom. EleutherAI are open-sourcing
> language models.
> The problem is that there are very few people within EleutherAI using emacs
> and few people who can help.

I'm not sure I understand what features in Emacs this could enable.
And the references you provided don't seem to answer this question (or
maybe the answer is buried deeper than I'm prepared to dig at this
point).  I understand that EleutherAI doesn't seem to support
programming at this point, only natural language (is that true?), but
that still means there could be any number of useful features where it
could help.  But what are they?  The stuff on the EleutherAI site is
oriented towards people who work in the machine learning domain, not
to programmers who design applications that could take advantage of
those capabilities, so it's not easy to understand what these
capabilities have in store for Emacs.

Thus, description of relevant Emacs features, whether existing or
imaginary, with enough details for us to be able to discuss that
intelligently, will be appreciated.  I don't think this discussion
will be meaningful without at least some idea of what we are trying to
accomplish.

> If you'd please excuse my speculative musings, emacs has 40 years of design
> waiting to be augmented with
> GPT3 and I believe that emacs is way ahead of the competition. It's a gold
> rush really.

Why do you think Emacs is better fitted to this than other editors?
It sounds like most of the processing is done server-side, so what
exactly is the significance of Emacs being the client?

> Name a package and I can name an augmentation.

Is this based on what these services (EleutherAI in particular) can
do, or are these just unrelated fantasies?  We need ideas based on
capabilities that exist, not on what could exist years from now.  AI
history is chock-full of ideas that didn't work out.

> Take 'erc' and make it the first IRC client to automatically translate all
> messages into any type of dialect --
> French, Klingon or Pirate.

How is this different from existing translation servers?

> Company-mode + GPT = Copilot.

I don't see how this is true.  Copilot is not just generalized
completion, and AFAIU doesn't fit into the presentation methods used
by Company.  What am I missing?

> Org-roam + GPT = A multiversal prose editor
> (https://github.com/socketteer/loom)

I couldn't understand what that does, looking at the above URL.  Any
details how it works and how it helps the writer?

> Org-brain + GPT = a mind map, which automatically generates and suggests
> nodes, then lets you talk to a
> chatbot tutor on any weird topic you can think of.

Does this capability really exist?

Thanks.