Re: Context menus and mouse-3

From: Tak Kunihiro
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 12:49:23 +0900

>>> I think most of the time, a thing under mouse cursor matters for
>>> context-menu instead of mode.
>>
>> Obviously, but note that the code that decides what "thing under the
>> cursor" is relevant, and which menu entries should be shown for it is
>> most likely going to be provided by a mode.
>>
>> So I guess what I'm saying is that I disagree with "instead of".
>
> It's not just modes.  It's not just text under the
> mouse pointer.  It's not "instead of".  Right.
> It's anything you (a user or code) want the menu
> to be.

I think operation double click on icon in file browser is a good
analogue to operation via context menu.

Double click opens an icon.
I think by default, context menu should provide a way to open a
thing under mouse pointer.

What is appropriate open, isn’t obvious.

| thing     | open          |
| file      | file-file     |
| directory | dired         |
| url       | browse-url    |