RE: [External] : Re: Context menus and mouse-3

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Context menus and mouse-3
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 04:06:22 +0000

> I think operation double click on icon in file browser is a good
> analogue to operation via context menu.
>
> Double click opens an icon.
> I think by default, context menu should provide a way to open a
> thing under mouse pointer.
>
> What is appropriate open, isn’t obvious.
>
> | thing     | open          |
> |-----------+---------------|
> | file      | file-file     |
> | directory | dired         |
> | url       | browse-url    |
> | function  | describe-help |

Not just "open", however that operation might be
defined for a given kind of thing under the mouse
pointer.  That is, there need not be just one
appropriate action for a given thing.

A double-click is associated with only a _single_
action (unless combined with modifier keys).

Here we're talking about a _menu_, which means a
number of choices.  Including possibly multiple
choices for the same type of thing.

I gave several examples from the `mouse3.el' menu.
E.g. 4 actions for a symbol pointed to, 2 actions
each for a function or variable name pointed to.

The possibilities are endless.  Which is another
reason to allow both programmatic and user control
over the menu in any given context.