Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 17:55:28 +0200

On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 07:57:49AM -0700, csh wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote ..
> > > From: csh <csh@bluehome.net>
> > > Cc: ane@iki.fi, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > > Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:18:23 -0700 (PDT)
> > >
> > > Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote ..
> > >
> > > bash: movemail: command not found...
> >
> > Then I guess you should install GNU Mailutils.
>
> I asked you what the package name was.  I told you that I cannot find it.

Not a Redhat person here, but I'm told that you can do

  rpm -qf /usr/bin/movemail

to find the package carrying it.

[...]

> My mail is in Maildir format.  It is not in mbox format.

That's how they are stored in your computer by whatever program
fetches it from your provider.

> > What do you mean by "email providers", and how do you use that to get
> > your email before reading it in Emacs?
>
> I use bluehome.net, which stores mail in Maildir format, but I am sure Google
> uses
> Maildir format for its inboxes, too.

Nobody knows. Being Google, they will use some funny storage. Who knows,
perhaps Bigtable [2], to better rummage through your mails :)

You fetch the mails from Google using some protocol (e.g. IMAP). How they
end up in your computer depends on the mail client you use.

> Right now, I am using the webmail Webmin interface.  Sometimes I use
> Evolution.  Other
> times I use Thunderbird.  I just used OfflineIMAP to fetch all my mail into
> ~/Mail/ on
> my local machine.

Ah, then it's OfflineIMAP who decides how to store them in your computer.
Judging by the Wikipedia page [1] it only wants to do Maildir.

Cheers
 - t