Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add Maildir support to RMAIL
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 19:21:50 +0300

> From: csh <csh@bluehome.net>
> Cc: ane@iki.fi, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 07:57:49 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > > bash: movemail: command not found...
> >
> > Then I guess you should install GNU Mailutils.
>
> I asked you what the package name was.  I told you that I cannot find it.
>
> [liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ dnf search mailutils
> Last metadata expiration check: 1:44:35 ago on Sun 25 Jul 2021 09:07:46 AM
> EDT.
> No matches found.

Strange.  I don't know much about that, but if worse comes to worst,
you could download the source tarball and build it yourself, perhaps?

> > Btw, I'm not sure I understand completely what kind of Maildir support
> > do you need and why.  Your original message said:
> >
> > > I really love the simplicity of reading mail with RMAIL, but most email
> > > providers
> > no longer use the mbox format for mail.
>
> My mail is in Maildir format.  It is not in mbox format.
>
> > What do you mean by "email providers", and how do you use that to get
> > your email before reading it in Emacs?
>
> I use bluehome.net, which stores mail in Maildir format, but I am sure Google
> uses
> Maildir format for its inboxes, too.
>
> Right now, I am using the webmail Webmin interface.  Sometimes I use
> Evolution.  Other
> times I use Thunderbird.  I just used OfflineIMAP to fetch all my mail into
> ~/Mail/ on
> my local machine.

So you use those to deliver email to your local machine, and the email
is delivered in Maildir format?  Then I think it would make sense for
you to try to install Mailutils, because its 'movemail' command could
fetch email for you and save it in mbox format that Rmail cane read.