Re: How to add pseudo vector types

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to add pseudo vector types
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 22:31:31 +0300

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 15:19:20 -0400
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
>
> Other obvious uses: restructured text or markdown documentation amidst
> code in another language, various sorts of literate programming, etc.

We should, of course, support these features.  But their support
should be controlled by Lisp programs, not be hard-coded in some
low-level C code.  The way to access discontinuous ranges of buffer
text as a single character sequence needs support in Emacs Lisp before
we can map it to the equivalent TS features.

> (This of course brings up that someday it might be nice to have Emacs
> aware of such multi-modal text and able to switch how you're editing
> even inside a single file, but that's a bigger topic.)

We have the beginning of this, but have a lot more turf to cover.  And
currently, what we have uses restrictions.