Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitter

From: Andrei Kuznetsov
Subject: Maybe we're taking a wrong approach towards tree-sitter
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 09:57:52 +0800

I could not follow the conversation <<cc-mode fontification feels
random>> particularly well, as it seemed somehow disjoint in a manner I
cannot explain, but it seemed as if consensus has been reached that
Emacs will provide optional functionality integrating yet another
external package, this time tree-sitter.

Unlike features like native JSON, however, I believe tree-sitter is the
first optional package providing notable functionality that would
require a toolchain that depends on LLVM (that of Rust, which
tree-sitter is implemented in), and is therefore inaccessible to people
not running popular systems; I.E., how would one make tree-sitter work
in MS-DOS (Emacs on FreeDOS is a must-have for me, and it would be a
great annoyance if cc-mode, or similar external packages depend on
tree-sitter in the future), or on an Itanium system running GNU/Linux?

I think we should focus on portably reimplementing the relevant
functionality within Emacs, preferably in Lisp.