Re: Dired C idea

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Dired C idea
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 09:48:02 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Richard,

>   > Internally, `copy-directory' is called, which is aware of file name
>   > handlers. Using rsync instead of copy shouldn't break this mechanism.
>
> Should `copy-directory' itself, on local directories, run rsync?
> Maybe that would be a simple way.

Should be feasible. The hard part is a rule to determine, whether rsync
is better suited than the existing implementation, with the given actual
arguments. I suspect, that small directories and/or short files are
better served with the current implementation.

There exists also the librsync library, released under GNU LGPL v2.1. It
might help to implement rsync in Emacs core, instead of calling an
external process.

Best regards, Michael.