Re: On the adoption of transient.el

From: Rudolf Adamkovič
Subject: Re: On the adoption of transient.el
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 22:19:34 +0200

On the other hand something has always felt off about transient, in the sense that it is breaking some expected behaviour or couldn't pin-point yet, but just unconsciously stumble over.

This is exactly how I feel about the "modern" interfaces in Emacs. I reported a bug in Embark recently, and because I could not select and copy the text, I ended up re-typing the text that was right in front of me in Emacs. Say what? For me, Emacs is a program where I expect to never waste time re-typing anything. Magit has a similar feel to it, and I can never be sure if the program will allow me to select text in the diverse parts of its user interface. In my opinion, such uncertainty is bad for power users. I would expect this from Apple or Microsoft software, because their latest “UX designers” surely know better than anyone, but in Emacs?

R+

--
Programming reliably --- must be an activity of an undeniably mathematical nature [...] You see, mathematics is about thinking, and doing mathematics is always trying to think as well as possible. -- Edsger W. Dijkstra (1981) Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> Studenohorská 25 84103 Bratislava Slovakia [he/him]