Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 14:27:49 -0500

On Tue Aug 3 2021 Gregory Heytings wrote:
> > It is my understanding, that support of oauth2 within the Emacs
> > ecosystem is rather incomplete.
>
> It is not incomplete,

[snip]

> oauth2.el refreshes tokens automatically, so once the initial ugly
> configuration is done, everything should work smoothly.

Upon authentication, oauth2.el does not support `access_type=offline'.
It is my understanding that this is needed to get upon authorization
not only an access token, but also a refresh token.  The latter is
needed to grant an app continuous access beyond the short lifetime
of an access token.  However, the emacs url machinery also lacks
the code that is needed to use the referesh token in order to
request a new access token if the current access token has expired.
This goes beyond the advice of url-http-handle-authentication that
is currently used by oauth2.el.

Let me know if I misunderstand the oauth2 protocol.