Re: Dired C idea

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Dired C idea
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 20:31:52 +0000

I would like to see some benchmark figures first. For example, I'm not sure that rsync performs better when the target directory does not exist yet, and there's nothing to sync.

I made some comparison between "cp -pr" and "rsync -pr" on shell level. [...] "rsync -pr" is slower than "cp -pr".

Yes, nothing can beat cp; rsync is always slower (and uses more memory) compared to cp because it does more than just copying files. It is faster only when copying files from/to a remote host when some files already exist on both sides (which is its original purpose).

But rsync is also much more powerful tool compared to cp, even when it is used locally: as Richard said it can resume an aborted/partial copy, it can synchronize two directories, it has options to include or exclude file patterns, it has a progress indicator, and so forth. So as the manpage says, it is an "improved copy command".