Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: oauth2 support for Emacs email clients
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 19:38:26 -0400

  >   Now, using oauth2.el from GNU Elpa, I have got the basics
  > (authentication and authorization) working.  This required some ugly
  > configuration within MS Azure.  But I am still some distance away
  > from a smooth workflow, say, using Gnus.

Can you tell us more details of
(1) what you did to make this work, and
(2) what problems remain?

(1) will help people now, and (2) will show us what to work on.

  > Say, oauth2.el advises url-http-handle-authentication.

That is one thing we should change.  url-http-handle-authentication
should provide whatever hooks are needed so oauth2.el can do its job
without needing to do advice.

That change will make our code cleaner, but won't directly affect
what it can do and what it can't do.

  >   More
  > importantly, email clients need to regularly refresh the oauth2
  > access token.  I believe Emacs is not yet suited for this.

Can you tell us any more about what "regularly" concretely means?
For instance, is this based on elapsed time?  Actions carried out?
It doesn't sound like something that will be difficult.