Re: Make ELPA and nongnu elpa more accessible

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Make ELPA and nongnu elpa more accessible
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 10:36:46 +0300

I think those are all wonderful ideas! I can relate to the problem you're trying to solve, as I was confused on some of those points just a couple of days ago.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021, at 5:26 AM, Yuan Fu wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2021, at 10:49 AM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> I think both ELPA could use some improvement on accessibility, eg, change
>> the raw readme file to a html,

> I'm OK with generating an HTML version from some source version
> (e.g. README.org or README.md), but I definitely have no intention of
> editing/reading an HTML version of that file.

> The intended audience is expected to be using Emacs, so the format
> should be Emacs-friendly which HTML isn't.

> [ Hmm... now that I reread the above I wonder if I have misunderstood.
>  I'm talking about the (elpa|nongnu).git/README and admin/README.  ]

index.html is the html file that I intend to edit. As for README, I think it is targeted towards developer/admin of ELPA, rather than someone who just want to add his package to ELPA. And it obscures the fact that adding your package to ELPA is extremely easy.

I want to add a guide for those who has a package on github and want to add it to ELPA, which I assume to be the majority. Some thing like this:

Emacs elpa and nongnu elpa starter guide

* Difference between GNU ELPA and NONGNU ELPA

To distribute a package on GNU ELPA, author and contributors need to
sign the copyright assignment, NONGNU ELPA doesn’t pose that
requirement.

* Add a package hosted on GitHub/GitLab to GNU ELPA

1. Update file header to comply to the [[standard format][some link]] (copyright notice, etc)
2. Send an email to emacs-devel@gnu.org to sign the copyright
assignment (and ask contributors to do the same, if their contribution
is larger than 15 lines of code)
3. Send an email to emacs-devel@gnu.org asking to add your package to
GNU ELPA, and wait for administrator to review your package and add it
for you.

* Add a pacakge hosted on GitHub/GitLab to NONGNU ELPA

Like the procedure for GNU ELPA but without step two.

* Update your package on GNU ELPA

(I believe you only need to add a tag, is that right?)

* (maybe) talk about GNU ELPA-devel and NONGNU ELPA-devel

Yuan