Re: Dired C idea

From: Peter Oliver
Subject: Re: Dired C idea
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 19:22:02 +0100 (BST)

> I would like to see some benchmark figures first. For example, I'm not
> sure that rsync performs better when the target directory does not exist
> yet, and there's nothing to sync.

I made some comparison between "cp -pr" and "rsync -pr" on shell
level.

Something else to consider is that from the next major version of GNU
Coreutils, cp will default to copy-on-write (“--reflink=auto”) on supported
filesystems.  This is lightning fast, and saves disk space too.

I expect that rsync will gain equivalent capabilities in time, but it doesn’t
have them yet.

--
Peter Oliver