Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Easy configuration of a site-lisp directory
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 20:50:02 +0300

> Cc: arthur.miller@live.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <cpitclaudel@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 13:25:25 -0400
>
> On 8/10/21 11:44 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > If we now change the subject, as you did, and talk about the fact that
> > the installed *.el files are not modifiable by your user, I will claim
> > that it's a mis-configuration of your system's access rights and/or
> > a problem with the way Emacs was installed
>
> But it's not the installed Emacs I want to hack, it's the sources that are
> under git.

Then why not do just that?  If you edit the sources in the Git
checkout, and use the TAGS table there, M-. will give you sources in
Git, not those of the installed Emacs.  I do that all the time: run an
installed Emacs to develop the master branch.

> I think my mistake is simply to have run make install at all, I should just
> run Emacs from src/emacs in the git repo.

That's possible, but not necessary, see above.  You can M-. to the
sources of Emacs other than the one you are running exactly as you can
do that while editing any other program.  Just think of the Emacs
sources in Git as a program you develop, not the program you run.