Re: [Patch] Basic WYSIWYG printing in GNU Emacs

From: Anand Tamariya
Subject: Re: [Patch] Basic WYSIWYG printing in GNU Emacs
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 12:15:53 +0530

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 11:41 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Anand Tamariya <atamariya@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 11:04:39 +0530
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>  > Correction is in order - the screenshot/ rendering within Emacs requires Ghostscript. Printing to
>  printer
>  > would use OS specific print commands e.g. lpr on *nix.
>
>  Now I'm even more confused.  How does one "render within Emacs with
>  Ghostscript"?  Emacs display rendering uses our display engine, which
>  doesn't need Ghostscript, and AFAIK cannot use it.  I guess I'm
>  misunderstanding something very basic here...
>
> The screenshots linked in OP shows split windows - one with original text and another with PS file. The PS
> file section is actually a PNG image generated with Ghostscript from the PS file. The PS file itself is
> generated by my code.

OK, that takes care of my confusion, thanks.

But the original question still stands: where do you make use of
Ghostscript in your code which generates the PS file?
I don't.
  Or maybe you
don't use Ghostscript for that (which would be good news), and I just
misunderstood you did?  IOW, is Ghostscript a prerequisite for using
your WYSIWYG printing code to produce the PS stuff (as opposed to
sending the PS to the printer)?
It's not. It is only required if one wants to visualize (print preview) it within Emacs. Of course, for development and testing, it's irreplaceable unless you want to waste reams of paper. Hence, I count it as a dependency.