Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 15:07:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 13:56:28 +0200
>>
>> > Why would you want to do that?  It's in a sense against the original
>> > intent: Lisp files should only be natively-compiled when they are
>> > first needed, and stored under the user's home directory.  Otherwise,
>> > you will litter the system-wide directories with a lot of quite large
>> > binary files, which doesn't seem to be a good idea.
>>
>> Storing them in users' home directories also means that every user has
>> to recompile them, and they will be present multiple times on the
>> system.
>
> No, only the users who need a file FOO.eln will compile it and have it
> in their eln-cache.
>
>> > I'd be interested to hear your motivation for using this possibility.
>>
>> The motivation is to compile and install these files once system-wide,
>> instead of duplicating them in all users' directories. Conceptually they
>> aren't user specific but belong to the Emacs package.
>
> That's... not how this was intended to work.
>
> I wonder if anyone else has an opinion here.

We can set optimization level in init file, or early init, and that will
affect how lisp files are compiled, so for some advanced users
precompiled binaries are of not so much use.

For some less advanced users, maybe with slower computers, precompiled
binaries could save some time and computer resource.

I have personally no inclination for either yes or no, just wanted to
add some arguments to the discussion.