Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 19:12:28 +0200

On Tue, Aug 17 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Well, then it's a pity you are speaking up just now, instead of 8
> months ago, or whenever you discovered NATIVE_FULL_AOT.  We've spent
> these months discovering non-trivial problems with the way Emacs is
> built by default with natively-compiled Lisp, fixing those problems,
> and stabilizing the solutions so that Emacs could go into pretest
> soon.  If we now change things under the assumption that
> NATIVE_FULL_AOT will be used frequently, let alone by default, we'll
> have to redo some of this work, or risk releasing Emacs with potential
> build, installation, and usage problems.

Eeh, I know. I try to keep up with emacs development but even though I
like emacs and use it daily, I'm not involved enough to keep up at the
same same rate I rebuild it ;).

I have a few bug reports I submitted myself I'd wish to work on (I still
think clicking in the scroll-margin zone is completely broken), but
coulnd't put down any time on it.

I browse through the list infrequently (sometimes ignoring it for months
at time), so even such important discussions can escape my radar. My bad
here.

> compiled behind the scenes when first loaded.  With all of them
> compiled AOT, you will now have an outdated .eln file in the standard
> place and a new one in your eln-cache, which will definitely confuse
> or bite you some day.

The way it works now seems logical to me, and I find the current
behavior totally expected.

A real question I had for a while now is whether emacs attempts to
solve the cleanup problem in the user's eln-cache itself.

> The XDG thing was discussed and we decided not to do that.  Again,
> perhaps if you and others spoke back then, maybe we would make a
> different decision.

I've currently symlinked the directory to the proper root in ~/.cache,
mostly to avoid backing it up.